Wirepas Massive v5.1
Welcome to the entry-point to start experimenting with Wirepas Massive technology!
This document is targeted at new developers starting with Wirepas Massive.
In this getting started section you will discover what Wirepas Massive is with practical examples: the document will show step-by-step how to build your first network and send/receive data to/from it.
A Wirepas Software License is required to access Wirepas Massive software and build the Wirepas evaluation application. Please contact your Wirepas sales representative to request a license if you don’t yet have one.
What you’ll learn
- What Wirepas Massive is, its basic concepts and how it works
- What are the required tools to start to develop and how to install them
- How to program your devices with Wirepas application examples
- How to set up and configure a demonstration Wirepas Massive network
- How to set up and configure a Wirepas gateway
- How to communicate with a Wirepas network via a gateway
What you’ll need
- A Wirepas Developer portal account
- A computer with Windows 10
- Some developer boards as described in the various How-To manuals
- A valid Wirepas License
Get to know Wirepas Massive
Before any practical implementation of a Wirepas Massive network, we recommend you to go through the following documents the get knowledge on Wirepas Massive, how it works and how the APIs are organized:
Once you are familiar with Wirepas Massive you can start to go through our How-to guides in the order presented in the following sections.
Set up the Wirepas development environment
The first step in the journey is to download and install your build environment to work with Wirepas Massive network.
The setup system consists of the following development environment:
- Wirepas Binaries (stack and bootloader) to be able to compile a user application (under License)
- Wirepas SDK to ease up application development and to allow code compilation
- Chip vendor binary programming toolchain to flash your compiled application into your devices
- Wirepas Terminal to communicate with a Wirepas Massive network connected to a computer for debug purposes
- (Optionally) Wirepas Network Tool (WNT) backend (either hosted by Wirepas or by you) and WNT Client to monitor the Wirepas Massive network.
To set up your environment, please go through the following documents which will guide you through the process to get a functional build environment on your PC:
The Wirepas Terminal and the optional WNT Client tools installation process will be given in the next sections.
Once this set of How-to guides is completed you can then start to create your first Wirepas Massive network.
Create your first Wirepas Massive network
We have written a set of step-by-step How-to guides to help you to get familiar with the Wirepas Massive network development and the setup process. The documents put into practice all the concepts and terminology seen in the previous documents. They will walk you through all the steps needed to build your first network and communicate with it.
The guide set to go through is listed below. We recommend following them in the given order.
Please note that you will need some hardware at this stage. The required hardware options are listed in the different How-To’s.
- How To set up and use your first Wirepas local network 
- This document describes how to build a small network and communicate with it using Wirepas Terminal.
- How To set up a Wirepas gateway on a Raspberry Pi with a pre-built Wirepas image 
- This document describes how to set up a Wirepas gateway which will enable connecting the Wirepas Massive network to the internet
- How to communicate with a Wirepas network using Wirepas Gateway API 
- This document describes how to configure the Wirepas gateway to connect to the small network and how to use the Wirepas Gateway API to send and receive the network messages.
Once you have completed the last guide, you have completed the Wirepas Massive Getting Started. Congratulations!!
You should now have a better understanding of the whole Wirepas Massive architecture i.e. “network + gateway + backend” and know the basics of communicating with a Wirepas network via a gateway.
It is now time to start to develop your own product!
Start to develop your own network
Now that you have configured your first Wirepas Massive network you can start to design your own application and network infrastructure.
All the documentation related to Wirepas Massive can be found in the “Wirepas Massive documentation“ section of the developer portal .
 Wirepas Massive Overview
 Wirepas Massive Concepts
 Wirepas Software and APIs Overview
 How To Install SDK and Build an Application
 How To Flash Wirepas Application
 How To set up and use your first Wirepas local network
 How To set up a Wirepas gateway on a Raspberry Pi with Wirepas prebuilt image
 How to communicate with a Wirepas network using Wirepas Gateway API
 Wirepas Massive related documentation
Copyright © 2021 Wirepas Oy